Operating only in the greater Melbourne area, with a couple of locations, The Brotherhood of St Laurence has been working towards an Australia free of poverty.
The charitable organisation was first founded in 1930 in, surprisingly, New South Wales. Father Gerard Kennedy Tucker, an activist, and social reformer, founded the organisation amidst the darkness of The Great Depression.
It took only three years for them to have enough of Sydney, so they moved their headquarters to Melbourne, the only area in Australia where they still operate.
Although they may not be as big as some of the other charities that accept donations such as clothing and homewares, they have become one of the most respected among the locals.